Sunday, March 15, 2009

Earring Display DIY


I wanted to share this easy earring display project that I did over the weekend.

I had been meaning to do this for a while and it's so simple I can't believe it took me so long to do.

The pictures pretty much tell you all you need to know, but here are some directions anyways.

What you'll need:

Picture frame
a piece of screen
hot glue gun and/or staple gun (depending if your picture frame is wood or plastic)
spray paint
sawtooth hangers
Xacto knife

Click on any image to make it larger.

1. Find a picture frame you really like. I found mine at the thrift store for only $3 dollars. I wanted to find a really ornate frame, but even though I had looked around for a while I had no luck.



I picked my screen up at Lowes for less then $7 dollars. I choose the cheapest one they had and I was able to cut through the vinyl with regular scissors.



2. Take the back off the frame and set aside the glass for another use.



3. Cut a piece of screen larger then the frame. Then glue (or staple) the screen in place on the back of the frame. Make sure you cut off all the excess.





4. Now spray paint the earring holder and color you like. (You're gonna want to make sure you paint the back of the screen as well. Otherwise you might see the original black from certain angles.)



5. Once the paint is dry, glue the sawtooth hanger onto the back with some hot glue. I found mine for less then a dollar at the craft store.



Once the glue is dry you're done.



Not too bad right? :)

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! I used a woven placemat for mine. It isn't as pretty but it works for now. I just strung it up with some yarn that I braided together and then hung it up and started poking the earrings through it. I love mine and it sure beats them getting tangled in the drawers of my jewelry armoire. I use a small earring organizer for my studs. Had it for years. It has Snoopy on it and I have no clue where I got it from LOL. I would love to make one like yours. It is much nicer.

    ReplyDelete