Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mexican Chicken Chili Soup


I want to share one of my favorite new recipes. It’s for Mexican Chicken Chili Soup and it is amazing.

Like super amazing.

The first time I made this, I followed the recipe exactly. Even though it turned out perfectly (and was super delicious), I’m not a big soup fan so I’ve changed the recipe to be more of a regular chili or thick stew.

Even though it looks like a lot of ingredients, you will have most on hand and the rest are inexpensive. Also, don't let the long cook time unnerve you. All you have to do it stir it every once in awhile.

Mexican Chicken Chili Soup
3-3½ hours 30 min prep

Ingredients:

1 lb chicken breast
2 cans chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I use El Pato since it's spicy and super tasty)
3-4 potatoes, peeled & chopped (use more if using the smaller red potatoes)
1 small onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 carrot, sliced (I hate cooked carrots so I left it out)
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup canned diced tomato
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, plus liquid (I use 2 cans)
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1/4 cup diced canned pimento (I just use the small jar at my grocery store)
1 jalapeno, diced (if you have some jarred on hand just use that)
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 dash basil
1 dash oregano

3-4 cups of water (depending on the size of your pan)

On the side:
sour cream
1 pinch chopped Italian parsley
grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions:

Add everything to the pot and turn heat to high. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to a little over low and simmer for a few hours.

That's pretty much it. Super simple.







I add the chicken breasts uncooked and let them simmer for about an hour before pulling them out and shredding the meat.









Once all the ingredients are added, this is what it should look like:



After I pulled out the chicken and let it cool, I shredded it and tossed it back in the pot.





You can see how much it thickens over time and it's easy to tell when it's done just by looking at it.



viola:



I like to add some cheese and eat it with a tortilla, but Ryan likes tortilla chips one top of his so feel free to mix it up.

(It's so good and the left overs are even better. I use it in quesadillas and to top tostadas. It's also really good on top of rice. mmmm....)

So try it either way (for soup version just follow the link below), I promise you won't disappointed. :)

-Adapted from the Top Secret Recipes version of The Soup Nazi's Mexican Chicken Chili. Original can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment