Monday, March 9, 2009

Sunburst DIY

I really needed something to go above my television in the living room and I thought a sunburst mirror would be perfect.

You’d be shocked how easy this project was. A glue gun is the only “tool” used in this project so there is no excuse for you not to make one of your own.

I found all of the materials at Wal-Mart and it cost a little over $10 dollars to make.

What you’ll need:

Scissors
Scrap Cardboard (or pretty much anything)
A pen
Hot glue gun (plenty of glue sticks)
Metallic spray paint (already had)
16 Kabob skewers (I bought a huge bunch for 97 cents at Wal-Mart)
16 wooden dowels (again, less then a buck)
Craft mirrors in different sizes
A convex auto mirror ($1.97 in the automotive department of Wal-Mart)
Mounting hardware (less then a buck)

(Click on any image to make it larger.)

1. The first thing you need to do is trace your convex mirror onto the card board and cut out the circle. This is what you’re gonna glue everything to. (Make sure the circle is a little smaller then the mirror before you start gluing otherwise you might have overhang and the overall project won’t look at nice.)





2. The next step is to glue down the wooden dowels.



The easiest way to do this is to glue a cross. Then another cross. And then another.



3. Then glue the skewers in the spaces in between. I didn't bother cutting off the pointed end so you don't need to either unless you want to.

You will have to glue them closer to the middle then the dowels, but this is actually what you want since it will make a staggered effect. (I went a little crazy with the glue.)



4. Then you need to paint the whole thing silver (both sides). I used spray paint, but you can use any method you prefer.

5. Once the paint is dry, you can start gluing on mirrors.



6. I started with the large. Since I had 20, I put one on the end of each dowel and then spread the 4 out among the skewers. This part is totally up to you though.

Keep in mind the glue will drip so you don't want to go to heavy on it. You'll be able to reinforce the hold when you flip it over to glue the hanging hardware on.



7. then the medium. I just glued them on however I thought would like nice.



8. Once the glue has dried, the next step is to flip the whole thing over and glue on the hanging hardware. (By gluing the mirror on top of the dowels all the mess is hidden and the back is perfectly flat for the hanging hardware.)

I used a regular sawtooth hanger. The overall weight of the sun burst isn't any more then a standard picture frame so it doesn't really require anything more substantial.

At this point I also went around and added another bead of hot glue to the back of all the mirrors for extra hold.



9. After the glue has dried, flip the project over so it's right side up and glue on the convex automotive mirror. I recommend taking the black plastic backing off, but you don't have to if you don't want to (it became my glue catcher lol).



Glue it in place and you're done.



I couldn't find any more than two sizes of mirrors at the store so I glued on some clear gems randomly to add to the finish. It's totally up to you what you want to add (or not add) to embellish the project.



And there you have it. I think it turned out great and it helps distract from that awful wood wall I'm not allowed to paint (grrr...I hate that wall).

*Alternative option.*

I saw this picture when I was looking for inspiration and it made me how realize how easily this project could be made into a clock.

The only real change it requires is a plastic plexiglass mirror instead of the convex one. I know my craft store sells a small (I think its 6" by 4") sheet for around $6 dollars. You would then be able to drill a hole through the mirror and cardboard with little trouble.

After that, really all you need is a clock kit and you can find that at the craft store as well.

Personally, I love the idea of a mirror clock and will probably make one myself for some room in my house and I wanted to throw the idea out there.

2 comments:

  1. These starburst things are really back in, aren't they? Great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally awesome!! Much better than my first sunburst mirror attempt: http://www.homebysunset.com/home_by_sunset/2007/09/sunburst-mirror.html
    I have another one in the works, though...

    ReplyDelete