Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Frosted Mirror Silhouette DIY

I’ve been meaning to post this project for the last few days, but I’ve been really sick and barely posting on my other blog.

Seeing as I'm starting to feel better, I decided to get caught up. :)

The pictures pretty much tell you all you need to know, but here are some directions anyways.

What you'll need:

Mirrors
Contact paper
Frosted spray paint
Xacto knife
Frames (if your mirrors didn’t come with any)

Click on any image to make it larger.

1. The first thing to do is take a picture for the silhouette.



2. Print it out. I changed mine to black and white so I didn't waste ink. (My printer rocks, but the ink cartridges are damn expensive.)



3. Tape it to the contact paper and start cutting out the stencil. (You are going to want to use a new blade for this. It's very important. Otherwise you run the risk of tearing your stencil.)



I found it easiest to take out the center first. (Originally I left part of the collar, but it turned out to be a pain in the ass so I took it out.)



I had bought these mirror tiles for another project so I used these.

I would recommend buying mirrors that already come framed and ready to hang to save your self some stress.



4. Lay down your stencil.



I got this spray frosting from Lowe’s for about $4 dollars (Wal-Mart and the craft store didn't carry it).



5. Spray away. (It's very easy to see how many coats to paint. I probably did about 5 or 6 passes over it. Just keep spraying till it looks right.)



6. Peel off the stencil and make any corrections with your xacto blade.



There you have it.



The tiles are 12" by 12" so the only frames that worked were these LP frames I got at the craft store for $4.99 each (50% off).



There was a small band showing around each mirror so I just put down some left over fabric from my bookcases. I used foam squares to keep the mirror from shifting.



I originally made four silhouettes (two for each side of the window), but I later changed my mind as you can see.



Either way, they turned out great. Ryan and I don't look too nice from the side, but it adds a nice touch to the house.

I might later switch them out for famous composers or philosophers (which would work great for anyone who doesn't like their side profile or don't have enough family members for the amount wanted.)

Heads up:

Don't be surprised if your mirror looks something like this when you pull up your stencil:



All you have to do is scrape off the sticky stuff and over spray with the side of your xacto knife. A little Windex and its perfect (the Windex won't hurt the frosting so you don't have to worry about that).

No comments:

Post a Comment