Monday, May 11, 2009

Foam Core Picture Frames

This is a project I made for my last apartment. I was extremely broke and had a huge wall behind to fill.

My solution: foam core picture frames.

I know it sounds silly, but it turned out really well for what I was working with. In fact, I get a surprising amount of compliments on them.

Here's a pic (I pulled out one of the pictures so you could get a better idea):



What you'll need:

Foam board (I used three)
Xacto knife
Paint
Decorative paper or fabric

Directions:

1.Cut your foam board into a frame.

There’s really nothing complicated about this. I wanted mine specifically square, but you can make them any size or shape you want. (After you have the first one cut out, use it as a template for the rest.)

2.Once you have your frames cut out, cover them in any paper of fabric you like.

As you can see, I used foil and then dripped some red paint over the top.


The options are endless, so be creative.

3. Then all you have to do is tape the pictures to the frame.

I had copies made so I wasn't not too concerned with dust or anything, but you could tape a clear page protector to the frame and just slide the picture in if that's a problem for you.



4. Now I just nailed them straight to the wall, but you can use sawtooth hangers or sticky foam squares (the frames are super light).

Not too bad right?

In the last few years I've seen a ton more projects using foam. Not only is it inexpensive, but you can pretty much shape it into anything you want. This website has a bunch project ideas using foam products.

Here are some of the projects the have listed:



Makes me wish I had more wall space.

No comments:

Post a Comment