Thursday, July 9, 2009

Daughter of the Forest

Anyone who reads a lot will understand the immense feelings that can overcome you when a book grabs on to the very core of your being.

And I’m not talking about the type of book you simply enjoy and then casually think about picking up the sequel some time down the road (though they fill their own role I suppose). I am talking about the stories that leave you feeling changed in ways you can’t fully explain.

Books that you hate to put down for even a moment. Where you find yourself weeping and laughing and then weeping some more.

I know that sounds immensely corny, but it’s the simple truth. Some of you will understand what I’m saying exactly and if you don’t, I urge you to keep reading till you do. Because it’s amazing.

My point in all this rambling, is that I just finished reading Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier and WOW.



There are many things I could say about this book, but here is the summary from the author’s website:
First published in 1999, Daughter of the Forest is loosely based on the traditional story of The Six Swans, which appears in Grimm’s Fairy Tales and has been re-told in many versions, including one by Hans Christian Andersen.

In Daughter of the Forest, the fairy tale story – a youngest sister must maintain complete silence while weaving shirts from nettles in order to return her swan brothers to human form – is combined with a family drama set on both sides of the Irish Sea. More than anything, this is a story about the bond of love between siblings.

I will admit upfront I’m a sucker for retold fairy tales (like Jack the Giant Killer and the like) but this book is plain perfect.

I started reading last night and literally could not put it down. When Ryan’s alarm clock went off at 4:30 this morning I finally forced myself to go to sleep, but it wasn’t easy. As a raced through page after page I fell in love with the characters over and over. I found myself crying and wishing for their happiness more then you would have thought possible and I’m sad in a lot of ways to have finished it.

I’ve already put the sequel on hold at the library.

I’m not going to go into much detail about the book (you can read a great review – the one that made me read the book – here), but if you like fantasy or romance you would be a fool not to read this book.

That’s really all I can say.

Edit: I've actually finished the other two books of the trilogy and it's amazing. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment