Thursday, August 27, 2009

Angels and Demons

In my usual habit, I stayed up much too late last night so I could finish Angels and Demons. Unfortunately, I wasn’t all that impressed.



Even though I did enjoy the Da Vinci Code, this book just didn’t do it for me for quite a few reasons.

1. The plot was too implausible. Does anyone besides Brown really believe that blowing up the Vatican would eradicate Christianity or make people embrace the sciences? It’s just ridiculous.

I also thought the “clues” Brown’s character had to follow were an insult to the reader’s intelligence. Brown first rambles on about what a secret society the Illuminati is and how they were nearly impossible to find, while simultaneously asking us to believe that his main character, Robert Langdon, is able to find the secret “church of the Illuminati” in less than four hours.

2. Then there were the stereotypical characters: The smart attractive Professor who becomes an unlikely hero, the sexy intelligent female sidekick, the cold unsympathetic old man, the anti-god scientists, the fanatical clergymen, the super bad bad guy, and then the old bait and switch with the antagonist.

It was all a bit too expected. I also felt like Brown attempted to manipulate readers by making one of his characters extremely inconsistent with his previous behavior. I get that Brown wanted readers to be shocked by the ending, but I was more annoyed with his bait and switch than I was surprised.

3. Some of the dialog seemed to go on for days. (Brown has a nasty habit of over describing things that don’t really need to be described.)

4. The total crap of an ending. If Brown wanted to reinforce that the Catholic Church will lie to keep its power, then he did a great job. Otherwise, the books’ ending was a total failure.

But the main problem I had with this book is some of the broad accusations Brown makes about science. It just felt too political and the rant one of his characters goes on around page 380 was so irritating I almost stopped reading. I can’t remember if the Da Vinci Code had a similar problem, but I don’t think that’s something I would forget.

All in all I'm sad to say the book was a major waste of my time and I doubt I’ll be reading another Brown book again. I might still watch the movie, but that's about it.

1 comment: