Monday, December 14, 2009

Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers

I recently purchased Photoshop Elements 8. I had been meaning to buy some version of photoshop elements for a while now and when I saw costco had a killer sale I decided to finally take the plunge.

And what a plunge it is.

Trying to learn photoshop, even photoshop elements, is no walk in the park. I still have no idea what half the brushes do or how to do even the most simplest of things, but I am definitely learning. To speed the learning process along (and cause I turn to books for almost everything), I decided to check out Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski's The Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers.



I got to say I'm kind of torn about this book. On one hand, I freggin love it. But on the other, I'm still left very confused about photoshop elements as a whole even after reading this book.

This book has great tips on how to do some interesting things, but it really falls short on explaining the actual processes themselves. Take this cool technique I learned from the book:



Pretty nifty looking right? The problem is, I just follow the steps directly out of the book without knowing what it is I'm actually doing. If I had this book to add to my library it wouldn't be so bad, but for a book I have to return in a few weeks it's not so good. I need a book that explains the very basics as well as the techniques shown in this book.

Ok...so I didn't really intend to make this post about this book specifically, but it is what it is. Hopefully I will learn a few tricks in my photography class next semester cause this book does not cut it on it's own.

The bright side is the learning curve for photoshop elements itself is pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment