Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jeux d’enfants (Love me if you Dare)

Last night I watched an interesting movie call Jeux d’enfants.


Jeux d'enfants (Love Me if you Dare) is a French film by Yann Samuell based around the friendship of two children, Julien (Guillaume Canet) and Sophie (Marion Cotillard), who become obsessed with their game of dares. Whoever posses the carousel tin box gets to dare the other anything they want. But what starts as harmless dares as children (like cursing in class), eventually evolvs into outrageous and mostly cruel dares as adults.

Almost anyone who talks about this film brings up the movie Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain (Amelie) for good reason. Not only is the whimsical nature very Amelie-esqu, but the use of color is also very similar. The narration also made me think of Pushing Daisies as well, but that might just have to do with my insanse amount of love for the show.



What I found most interesting about this film was how much I disliked the characters. This happens sometimes when I’m reading books as well, and I’m always surprised how I can actually want happiness for people I’m so bothered by. This is how this movie made me feel. I kept getting annoyed by how selfish Julien and Sophie were and how little they cared about the people they were hurting around them.

Because this is not a love story. This is a story about obsession. It’s a story about how love can make us unbelievably cruel and how sometimes we can’t see beyond our own wants.

That being said, I still recommend that anyone who hasn’t seen this film go out and watch it. Maybe it’s just my love for anything magical and whimsical, but this movie is at least something beautiful to look at. Even if you do want to strangle the characters sometimes.

Are you game?

No comments:

Post a Comment