Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hard Candy

I was writing a post for my other blog about the sexualization of young girls and the movie Hard Candy jumped to the forefront of my mind.


Hard Candy is a 2006 psychological thriller film about a 14-year old girl who meets a charming 32-year old photographer on the Internet. Suspecting that he is a pedophile, she goes to his home in an attempt to expose him. Once at the house, manipulation becomes the name of the game, and the pedophile seems to be on the non-traditional side of it.


What is so interesting about this movie is way you never know who to root for. Throughout the film I kept alternating between who I thought the real monster was and who the victim was in all this. It takes a lot for a movie to so thoroughly mess with my head and I absolutely loved it.
Jeff Kohlver: You were coming on to me!
Hayley Stark: Oh, come on. That's what they always say, Jeff.
Jeff Kohlver: Who?
Hayley Stark: Who? The pedophiles! 'Oh, she was so sexy. She was asking for it.' 'She was only technically a girl, she acted like a woman.' It's just so easy to blame a kid, isn't it! Just because a girl knows how to imitate a woman, does NOT mean she's ready to do what a woman does.
Beyond that there’s nothing more I can really say without giving too much away. This is not a movie you want to walk into knowing what happens (though I’m sure it’d still be enjoyable). Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson are golden in this movie. Both of them elicit sympathy and disgust from the viewer and I couldn’t imagine watching this movie with any other actors.

Seriously, watch this today.

No comments:

Post a Comment