Monday, March 22, 2010

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies

I have a terrible secret to tell you, before I made this recipe I had never made an oatmeal cookie myself. Oh the shame. Ok, so it might not be that big of a deal that I've never tried my hand at making my own little pieces of heaven, also known as oatmeal cookies, but I found it kind of shocking considering how much I love them. I think my hesitation came from the fact that oatmeal cookies tend to fall into the love-em or hate-em category of baked goods.

But these cookies definitely fell into the love-em category.

These cookies are buttery crispy pieces of perfection and the occasional hint of salt adds another level of awesomeness to each bite. I know some of you may be thinking salt on cookies sounds disgusting, but you should really try it. (This will make just over 30 cookies so just put the salt on the first batch and see how you feel about it.) I didn't have any fancy salt so I just used kosher salt and it was great. Even Ryan liked it and he's not a fan of the salty/sweet combination (he doesn't even like chocolate covered pretzels...weirdo). Add white chocolate to the mix and prepare to have your mind blown.


I found this recipe over at Smitten Kitchen. I wasn't able to get the same hallowed out effect that she got with her cookies, but they were still great. Make sure you leave plenty of room with your first batch so you can see how far your cookies spread. Mine spread so much I was only able to fit six cookies on a sheet (I heard that using overly soft butter can cause more spreading too). Also, feel free to use Ghiradelli white chocolate chips since they're not artificial.

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

6 ounces good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped (not “white chocolate” chips; they’re almost always artificial. I am adamant about this.)

1/2 teapoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel) (for sprinkling on top)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.

3. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.

4. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie

5. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment