Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Goat Cheese and Chive-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Last week I posted a recipe for Goat Cheese, Chicken, and Asparagus Pasta that I had found over at The Bachelor Chefs. Since I was pretty happy with the way the pasta turned out, I decided to also try my hand at their Goat Cheese and Chive-Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe.


I'm glad I did because it turned out to be pretty phenomenal. The combination of the crunchy breadcrumb coating with the goat cheese in the center is perfection. Seriously, wow.


The nice thing about this recipe, besides the flavor, is the amazing pay off you get with minimal effort. You can also easily make as much or as little chicken as you need. Instead of using plain goat cheese I used a garlic and herb combination for extra flavor. If you've never stuffed a chicken breast it may sound like too much of a pain in the ass, but I promise it's not.

I'm making this for dinner again tonight in fact.

Goat Cheese and Chive-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 ounces goat cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons minced chives
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg
2 teaspoons water
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a small bowl, mash together the goat cheese, chives, and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Separate into 4 parts.

3. Lay the chicken breast flat on a cutting board. With a sharp knife cut a pocket into the center of each breast. If you'll notice chicken breasts are always flatter on one side and more tapered on the other. I find it easier to cut on the tapered side. I just set the breast down, place my palm on top, and slowly cut into the breast (like when cutting french bread). Be careful not to cut thru to the other side.

4. Fill the pockets with the cheese mixture. Press the top lid closed, sealing in the mixture.


This is the step where you'll want to bread your chicken. The Bachelor Chefs used a two-step breading of egg and flour, but I prefer my usual three-step breading of flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. As always, this is really up to you and what you like best. If you've never tried the three-step method or panko breadcrumbs then you should really give it a go. It's amazing. Either way just make sure you season your chicken with salt/pepper directly (rather then seasoning the egg or flour) before you start breading. It really makes a difference.

5. In a bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs with some seasonings and/or add some Italian seasoned breadcrumbs in with the panko for extra flavor. In another bowl, beat the egg with a little bit of water. Then, place some flour in a plastic bag (or another bowl) and you are set to go. (I usually place a piece of parchment or wax paper under my bowls to help reduce the mess on my counter.) Since I didn't want to risk my chicken falling apart by throwing it in a bag of flour, like I usually do, I just sprinkled the flour on top of the chicken on a paper plate. Effective but messier.

One at a time, dredge each chicken breast in flour, then the egg/water mix, and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat for each breast and set aside.


6. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil. Place breasts into skillet, browning each side for 2-3 minutes. If you don't have enough room then brown your chicken in batches. I usually just brown two at a time but since I only had three breasts it was easier to throw them all in together.


7. After all the chicken is browned on both sides, you're going to want to transfer the chicken to the oven and let chicken cook through (7-10 minutes). If you're using an oven proof skillet you can just transfer the whole thing into the oven, but I prefer to use a foiled lined baking sheet with a baking rack on top since it allows the chicken to brown on all sides. All personal preference though.

Take out and serve!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm what an amazing recipe you got there. I really prefer chicken breast recipes coz they seem so easy and this surely looks delish. Thanks for the easy instruction and pictures!

    ReplyDelete