Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Goat Cheese, Chicken & Asparagus Pasta

I am kind of shocked that this dish was the first time I'd ever had goat cheese. I have no idea how that was even possible, but when I saw this super simple recipe for "Goat Cheese, Chicken & Asparagus Fusilli" from The Bachelor Chefs I know I had to give it a go.


First off, I have to say that this is the best way I've ever eaten asparagus. The asparagus was actually the best part in my opinion. (There's a sentence I never thought I would write.) It was cooked perfectly to the point where the asparagus was just softened on the outside but still had a nice bite to it. No soggy asparagus here my friends (soggy asparagus and raisins are what I imagine they serve in hell).

My only complaint with this recipe is that it was on the bland side for me. Ryan and I like our food spicy and with a kick and this dish doesn't really stand up in that regard. That doesn't mean that I didn't like the dish though. I would just recommend adding some red-pepper flakes and a healthy amount of pepper. The plus side with this dish is that Holden loved it so I think it would be perfect for people with children. (Or my mother, since even the most mild of hot sauces is too much for her.) It was easy to just add some extra pepper and red pepper flakes to our plates while keeping the main dish mild for Holden. Next time I think I'll make my own pesto so I can add in some bolder flavors, but I don't think it's necessary.

Goat Cheese, Chicken & Asparagus Pasta

Ingredients:

1 lb. Fusilli pasta (or something similar)
1 lb. Asparagus
2 Chicken breasts
5.5 oz. of goat cheese
Pesto Sauce
Salt

Directions:

1. Chop your chicken and asparagus into 1″ pieces. (NOTE: Be sure to remove the bottom 1/2″ from the asparagus stalks. A good way to know where to cut is to bend a piece of asparagus until it breaks and then cut the entire bunch at the same place.) As you can see by my pics I got a little lazy with the chicken cutting since my pieces are a little on the large side so watch out for that.

While you're doing you're chopping bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil, for the pasta.

2. Saute the chicken with a spoon full of pesto sauce until browned. (about 10 minutes on medium-high). I found it easier to brown the chicken on both sides first and then add in the pesto.

3. Put a couple of spoonfuls of pesto sauce into a large mixing bowl and crumble the goat cheese into it.

5. Add the pasta to the pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes (when the pasta is tender, but not fully cooked) add the asparagus to the pot. Let cook for 5 more minutes.

6. Put the cooked chicken to the large mixing bowl (already containing the crumbled goat cheese and pesto). Strain the pasta/asparagus, saving about 1/2 cup of the cooking-water in a cup. Go ahead and add a few splashes of the cooking water you saved to the large bowl. Don't worry if you think it looks a little "soupy." Here are some pictures of how mine looked and it turned out perfect (I did have to switch to a bigger bowl though since this makes a TON of pasta):


7. Put the strained pasta/asparagus into the large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly, making sure the cheese covers everything.

Add salt and pepper to taste. If you like your pasta with a little more kick then I'd recommend adding some red pepper flakes.


Oh and this is kind of embarrassing, but don't add any parsley to this dish. I did so just so there would be a little more green in my photos, but the combination of the parsley with the creamy cheese was really weird in my mouth.

2 comments:

  1. I made this today and it turned out really good, the sauce is tangy from the goat cheese with just a bit of a "bite" from the red pepper flakes I added per your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete