Monday, March 29, 2010

Rosemary Roasted Cubed Potatoes

I don't know if this is a problem a lot of people struggle with, but I've noticed it's always a challenge for me to find creative side dishes. Most of the food blogs I follow focus on main dishes and desserts the most (which is totally understandable and I'm also guilty of). So, I'm gonna try to include more recipes for side dishes when I find any worth posting. This recipe for potatoes is as great a place as any to start.

The thing I like about this recipe is the general lack of effort it involves. I also like how the potatoes have a slight crunch on the outside but are still soft on the inside. This recipe is also super easy to adapt since you're pretty much starting with a blank state (just omit the rosemary and replace it with whatever you like). Just make sure you don't skimp on the oil. Potatoes stuck to the pan is a major let down.


Jamie Oliver’s Rosemary Roasted Cubed Potatoes
(Serves 4 -5)

Ingredients:

1lb potatoes, scrubbed and cubed into 1″ pieces (use the little new/red potatoes)
Sprig of fresh rosemary
olive oil or duck or goose fat (I jsut use olive oil)
5 cloves garlic, skin on and smashed
Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.

2. Place your potato cubes in a large pan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil. Drain them immediately in a colander and allow them to steam for a couple of minutes until the dry out a bit.

3. This is where Oliver says to "bash up the rosemary leaves in a pestle and mortar" but I skipped this step since I don't have a pestle and mortar (and even if I did I doubt I could force myself to muster the effort for such an unnecessary task). I also didn't have any fresh rosemary so I substituted dry. I know, I'm a horrible person.

4. Heat some olive oil, or duck or goose fat, in a roasting tray. What I did was just toss the pan, with the oil, in the oven while I waited for the potatoes to come to a boil. Then add the garlic cloves, potatoes and rosemary to the oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss together until well coated.

5. Place in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, shaking the try every so often, until the potatoes are golden and crispy. (I gave mine a good shake about every 5 minutes just to be sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment