Friday, March 19, 2010

Whip It

I’m really bad about seeing movies in movie theaters. I tend to rationalize that it’s better to just wait for the movie to come out on DVD since it costs about the same to buy a movie as it does to go to the movie theater. Because of that, I usually only go to the movies a couple times a year (though Ryan goes a lot more) and I have to really really want to see something in order to go see it.

But this was one of those movies I really really wanted to see.

Unfortunately for me, I’m kind of a loser and wasn’t able to get my one friend to go see it with me. So when I saw this movie in the store I jumped at the chance to buy it. Why it took me so long to post this I have no idea, but better late then never right?

In case you don’t know, Whip It is basically about the journey of Bliss Cavendar (Ellen Page) from a quiet 17-year old into the roller derby bad ass Babe Ruthless.


Trailer:



What I particularly loved about this movie is how it’s not about shopping or outward transformations. Though some outwards transformations definitely take place, this isn’t a movie where an outside change becomes the catalyst for growth like in She’s All That or Mean Girls. Instead this movie is more about growing into something different on the inside and picking an outlet to show that change (if that makes sense).

Any movie with a “girl power” type of message can turn into a cheese-fest really easy. But this movie somehow avoids that. While the plot is pretty predictable, the ending isn’t as “happily-ever-after” as I thought it would be and I think that made the movie even better. Also, the soundtrack kicked major ass and the wardrobe was fabulous in all its fishnet glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment