Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicken Korma

I found this recipe over at Noble Pig and, as with most of Cathy's recipes, it turned out to be mighty tasty.



This dinner is especially nice since it's quick and easy. During the week we tend to eat more boring routine meals since I go to school in the evenings, so this dish was a nice way to change that. I'm always on the lookout for quick delicious food that doesn't require a lot of fuss.

I did add some extra hot souce to mine since I like my food with a kick. I also left out the peas since we don't like them. I was a little worried with putting the plain yougurt on top of the pita since plain yogurt isn't my thing, but it turned out to be the perfect extra layer of flavor these needed.

Would I make this again? If I had everything on hand then definitely, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make it.

Chicken Korma

Ingredients:

1 large red onion; 1/2 chopped, 1/2 sliced
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Kosher salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
3/4 pound ground chicken
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
4 pitas (pocketless if you can find them, regular if you cannot)
Chopped cashews and/or hot sauce, for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. You are first going to make a watery-paste in the food processor with the chopped onion, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 cup water.

2. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until golden, 4 minutes. Add the paste and cook, stirring, until lots of the water is cooked out (10 minutes will do it). Add the chicken and cook until opaque, breaking up the meat. Mix the yogurt with 1/4 cup water, add to the pan and simmer over medium-low heat until the meat is cooked through, 2-3 minutes more. Add the peas and the cilantro and season to taste with salt.

3. Meanwhile, heat another skillet over high heat. Brush the pitas with oil, season with a tiny amount of salt and toast in the skillet, about 1 minute per side.

4. Divide the chicken mixture among the pitas. Top with more yogurt and cilantro. Garnish with cashews and/or hot sauce, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment