Sunday, April 11, 2010

Coffee Shop Photoshop/Photoshop Elements Actions

We'll be starting on photoshop in my photography class next week and one of the things I 'm particularly interested in is how to make my pictures look older. I'm not talking about the cheesy sepia tone with fake crinkles look either, but more so of pictures with a slightly faded look to them.



I was actually starting to get a little annoyed since I kept seeing these gorgeous faded photos, but had how no idea how to pull if off myself. Did I need to use a certain camera or slightly overexpose my pictures? Well, maybe those two things would work but I just couldn't find anyone to tell me. So when I recently across the blog Coffee Shop, that offers free photoshop and photoshop elements actions, I jumped for joy (at least on the inside). Even though I am still hoping to learn more in my photography class, the actions Rita offers on her blog are pretty freggin awesome and I thought I would share some of my favorites.

Here are some examples using three different actions. The first one is the original followed by faded daydreams, butterscotch vintage, and lomo.

Example 1:


Example 2:


Example 3:


What I really like about these actions is the versatility most of them have. Each layer can be adjusted individually in order to get the right look you're going for.

There's also a really cool group on flickr that where you can see some before/afters. It makes it easier to decide which actions to download since it can be a little overwhelming (at least in my experience).

So check it out. There's bound to be something for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the actions that you have listed! Since you're talking photography, have you tried filters for your lens? Specifically a polarizing filter. You'll fall in love. Check out this website:

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried and filters yet actually. I will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete