Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fabric Rosette Brooch

If you're anything like me, then you have seen a lot of different embellishments and craft projects using fabric rosettes. Right away I was completely smitten and wanted to know how they were made. (I also crossed my fingers and hoped a sewing machine wasn't involved since I'm hopeless when it comes to sewing.)

Luckily they turned out to be super easy.

IMG_2820 copy

While I originally intended on making a rosette necklace, I decided to make a brooch instead. Both are equally easy though (I just prefer earring to necklaces) and I think I'm going to make a hair barrette the same way.

Fabric Rosette Brooch

Supplies:

Fabric
Felt
Glue (I used hot glue)
An alligator clip or a bar pin (depending on whether you want to make a brooch or a hair clip)
Some embellishments

Directions:

Now, I'm not going to actually show you how to make the rosettes since this lovely little video is far better then any picture I could show you:


Easy right? The cool thing about this project is how pretty much any fabric can be used. (I especially like fabric that frays since you get little wispy pieces.)

1. So the first step is to make some rosettes. My only tip would be to make sure you don't glue close to the edges. Otherwise you'll see some of the felt (and I used black unfortunately).

IMG_2790

2. Decide on an arrangement you like. (I went with three since odd numbers look better in my opinion.) Once you have your arrangement, cut a small piece of felt and glue the arrangement in place.

IMG_2776

3. I decided to make some small fabric covered buttons to add to my brooch, but this step is entirely up to you. If I had some pretty buttons I would have used those, but I just worked with what I had on hand.

IMG_2771
IMG_2772
IMG_2773
IMG_2774

4. Glue on an embellishments you want to add. Besides my two fabric covered buttons, I also added a little gem on each flower.

IMG_2781

5. Now this is what the back of my flower looked like. Since it was pretty ugly, I decided to put another layer of felt on the back. I also thought it would help with stability.

IMG_2782
IMG_2783

6. Now you glue on your alligator clip or your bar pin and you're done.

IMG_2784
IMG_2786
IMG_2847 copy

Now you can sit back and marvel at your awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment