Friday, May 14, 2010

Apple Streusel Bars

This recipe has already made the rounds on a lot of food blogs I read, but that's not too surprising considering how tasty this recipe is (I found this particular recipe over at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary). These bars taste ridiculously like apple pie, but with a streusel topping. And I sure do love me some streusel topping. There are also super easy to make.

IMG_2546

The only thing I changed was the amount of glaze used. I don't know how other people felt about it, but 2 cups of powdered sugar seemed like way too much so I cut that amount in half. I also used apple cider instead of the milk and extract since I made a sauce for dinner with cider as well and I wanted to tie it all together.

Will I make this again? Of course. These bars a like pie, but take less fuss. I may never make another apple pie again.

Apple Streusel Bars

Ingredients:

Pastry:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. real butter, softened
1 egg, beaten

Apple Filling:
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 c. (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples (I used gala)

Glaze:
2 c. powdered sugar
About 3 Tbsp. milk (whole milk is best)
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Directions:

1. To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.

2. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 and set aside.

IMG_2510

3. To prepare apple filling, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon and toss with apples.

IMG_2511

4. Spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.(Mine took 50 minutes to test done)

IMG_2512

When finished, allow to cool.

5. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spoon glaze on top of bars. (I like to glaze them when they’re still a little warm, so the topping isn’t bright white)

IMG_2532

No comments:

Post a Comment