Saturday, May 29, 2010

DIY Nameplate Necklace

Here is a super easy tutorial for making your own nameplate necklace using shrink plastic.

IMG_3419

DIY Nameplate Necklace

Supplies:

Printable Shrinky Paper (alternatively, you could use #6 plastic)
Ink Jet Printer
Sharp Scissors
Hole Puncher
Oven
Paint/Clear Gloss
Chain
Jump rings
A clasp

Directions:

1. Type out your name/saying in Word or a photo editing software. It's important that each letter is touching. If you use a cursive font (like I did) then Word will be fine. But if you want to use a different font, then some kind of photo editing software will allow you to move each letter until they are overlapping.

Project2

2. Print your name/saying onto your shrink plastic according to the instructions on the package.

IMG_3335

Please pretend I regularly dust. Thanks.

3. Cut out your name/saying. As you can see, I didn't cut out the negative space in the middle. The only reason I didn't is because I didn't want to have to deal with it. I also thought it would help stability to keep the letters intact (since I have broken a few before). It's totally up to you though.

IMG_3336
IMG_3342

4. This step is optional, but I find it helpful to use a cheap nail file to sand down some of the sharp edges.

IMG_3343

5. Punch a hole on either side of the words where you'll attach the chain.

IMG_3344

6. Now you're going to want to heat up your shrink plastic according to the directions on the package. (Don't worry if your name/saying curls. It almost always flattens itself out. If not, you can always take it out, flatten it, and place it back in the oven.)

IMG_3350

Once your name/saying is all the way flat, keep it in for 30 more seconds, and then its done. Take it out and place a flat object (I just use parchment paper) on top of it to press it down for 15 seconds while it cools. Sometimes you will need to straighten your name/saying as well.

7. At this point you may be entirely happy with your name/saying. Since my nameplate got a bit scratched up when I sanded the edges, I decided to paint it. The only problem was I didn't cut out the space in the middle so I couldn't just spray paint mine. My solution? Some glittery black nail polish that I love. (I realize this is kind of ghetto but it worked).

IMG_3353

8. I then painted the edges black since they looked sloppy. Then I used some clear spray to seal it up.

IMG_3357

9. Then all you'll want to do is attack jump rings and a chain with a clasp.

IMG_3448

And you're done!

IMG_3411

The thing I like about this project, besides how easy it is, is how versatile it is. You can make your nameplate say anything you like or try different fonts for different looks.

7 comments:

  1. "harder".. that's what SHE said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, and really tempted to have a go. I guess you could use any font you wanted...And any nail varnish too!
    Really refreshing blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Yes, the options are pretty limitless. For my next one, I think I'm going to use a horror movie font (like in Rocky) and cover it in glitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you remember what the specific brand of shrinky dink paper you used? or are all of the printable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the brand, but they aren't all printable so it's important that it's mentioned somewhere on the [package. The printable ones are usually a little more expensive so there should be a price difference.

      Delete
  5. I experimented with looking at your blog on my mobile phone and the design doesnt seem to be right. Might want to check it out on WAP as well as it seems most smartphone layouts are not working with your site.

    nameplate necklaces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I disabled the mobile version since I can't figure out what's wrong. Hopefully that makes it more accessible.

      Delete