Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Apricot and Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich

I based this sandwich on a appetizer I saw on Everyday Italian for Apricot and Chicken Bruschetta. This sandwich has the perfect balance of salty and sweet that I absolutely love.

IMG_5522

The original recipe called for prosciutto, but I prefer pancetta. I'm sure any kind of ham would be good though so use whatever you like. I also think Swiss or provolone would be a good substitute for the fontina. You can use of those rotisserie chickens from the supermarket and skip having to cook your own, but I just roasted mine at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If you like spicy mustard I bet a little would be nice as well.

Would I make this again? Sure.

Apricot and Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich

Ingredients:

Bread, Ciabatta or a baguette
Apricot preserves
Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
Roasted chicken breast, cooled and thinly sliced
Pancetta, thinly sliced and crisped in the oven
Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
Spinach or other greens

Directions:

1. Slice the bread in half and spread each side with a light coating of the apricot preserves. Then arrange the cheese, sliced chicken, pancetta, and greens on top.

2. At this point you'll want to either warm the sandwich in the oven, just until the cheese starts to melt, or use a panini press. If you don't a panini press you can toast the sandwich in a pan while weighing down the sandwich using a heavy skillet. (I have one of those really small cast iron skillets that's good for this.)

IMG_5524

4 comments:

  1. Lol it's like an Italian version of a chicken club :P

    I think I might try this at some point. I guess you could just cook some dried apricots to get a sort of preserve/compote layer?

    Also,I've never had pancetta.. Is it spicy and is there an alternative that's still sort of eye-talian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried making a compote with dried fruit so you'll have to let me know if you give it a go! I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it'd probably cost the same to just pick up some jelly at the store.

    Pancetta is basically Italian bacon and it isn't spicy at all. Regular bacon can be used as a substitute almost always (though pancetta is better in some recipes, like carbonara). Bacon is smoked while pancetta isn't so they taste a little different. I LOVE pancetta. The deli where I get my sliced meat/cheese sells it so it isn't hard for me to get. I know some people have trouble finding it, but luckily I don't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Moon
    shines
    on a cat

    Meow

    My Poems

    Yours,

    - Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, okay. I think I'll try bacon and see how it goes... and the apricot compote!

    ReplyDelete