Sunday, July 25, 2010

Smokin’ Chicken Burger

As you can see by the recipes I've posted here, I'm not a big beef fan. Even though I sometimes get it into my head that I just have to have a burger, I usually end up regretting not getting my standard chicken sandwich. Chicken is my love and the flavor of beef just doesn't do it for me. Searching for a chicken burger wasn't as fun as one would expect though either. Most chicken burgers I've had suffer from dryness and not a lot of flavor. Until I stumbled upon this recipe I had almost given up hope.

IMG_6836
IMG_6833

The mushrooms in these patties really keep everything nice and moist. Couple that with the onions, red wine sauce, and bacon and this burger definitely has flavor. I usually cook the patties on a griddle and then toss them in the oven for about ten minutes to finish cooking (I usually get everything ready and toast the buns during this time), but you can do whatever you like.

Would I make this again? Already a family favorite.

Smokin’ Chicken Burger

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 pound white mushrooms, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
3/4 pound ground chicken
6 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup red wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 kaiser rolls, split

Directions:

1. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl; let cool slightly. Add the ground chicken, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; shape into 4 patties.

2. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 10 minutes.

3. In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth, red wine and tomato paste to a boil and cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.

4. Preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 12 minutes.5. Meanwhile, spread the remaining 2 tablespoons butter on the rolls and broil until golden. Place a patty on each roll bottom; top with onions, wine sauce, bacon and a roll top.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great job here. Awesome picture too! You should really consider submitting this to Recipe4Living's Juiciest Burger Contest! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete