Friday, August 27, 2010

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 9 and 10

A Book you’ve read more than once: I have to admit I don't read too many books more than once. This is partly because I get most of my books from the library, but it also has a lot to do with the fact I just don't care to reread a lot of stories. I've also found that I tend to like books a lot less when I reread them later on. I have no idea why that is, but I don't like it. When I am really impressed by a particular book I tend to go back and reread certain sections, but I almost never start the book completely over with a few exceptions. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling is definitely one of those exceptions.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling

Summary:
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all of that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable.

For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.

What else can really be said about this series that hasn't been said before? I didn't really get what all the hoopla was about Harry Potter until I finally decided to give the series a try (which wasn't till a few years ago). I like to reread each book before a new movie comes out and I definitely think he series deserves the hype. Plus anything that gets more kids reading is good in my book.

The first novel you remember reading: I remember reading some book about monkeys or something in fifth grade, but since I can't remember the title I'll have to go with the cooky poetry books by Shel Silverstein.

A Light in the Attic, by Shel Silverstein.

Summary:
Last night while I lay thinking here
Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
And pranced and partied all night long
And sang their same old Whatif song:

Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?...

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, hear a Mountain snore, and see Them Put a Brassiere on the Camel.

From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings.




I don't think there's a elementary school anywhere that doesn't have at least one of Silverstein's books on its shelves. I still love the illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment