Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore

When I starting asking our families to contribute recipes for Holden's cookbook I'm making, Ryan's grandmother Nancy sent me this recipe for Chicken Cacciatore.

IMG_7601

Ryan was quite happy Nancy gave me this recipe and after making it myself I could easily see why. Paired with a simple salad and some French bread, this dish is just perfect.

IMG_7604

I did change the recipe a tad since I prefer olive oil to shortening and I like to finish cooking my chicken in the oven so I don't have to worry about undercooked meat (I'm kind of paranoid about this). It was also hard to fit everything in my pan without major spillage so the oven helped with that as well. I haven't tried using canned mushrooms since fresh are so easy to come by, but I trust Nancy so I wouldn't worry too much about it if that's all you have on hand.

Would I make this again? Already have. Chicken Cacciatore is the perfect recipe to have in your repertoire.

Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients:

4 to 6 chicken breasts
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup flour
2 cups thinly sliced onion rings
1/2 coup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can (1 pound) chopped tomatoes, drained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can sliced mushrooms,drained, or fresh
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Wash chicken and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper and dredge through the flour till lightly coated.

2. Melt shortening or oil in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook chicken in shortening/oil until browned on both sides. Remove chicken and place in the oven to finish cooking.

3. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic to skillet. (If using fresh mushrooms you'll want to add them here as well.) Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients simmer, tightly covered, 20 minutes.

4. After 20 minutes, or whenever the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken from the oven and add to the vegetable mixture. Allows the cacciatore to then cook together for about ten minutes (prepare your rice or pasta during this time if using).

Serve as is, or over fluffy rice or spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment