Friday, August 13, 2010

Ranch Chicken

When I saw this recipe in the Food Network Magazine my heart fluttered at the genius of it. Buffalo and ranch are a pair made in heaven, but the idea of switching up the flavors never crossed my mind. My chicken is buffalo and my dipping sauce ranch. That's just the way it has always been. Until now of course.

IMG_7380

I decided to go with chicken breasts instead of wings since I don't really like to eat wings. The bones make me feel too much like a cave man or something (yes I'm weird). I was only able to marinate the chicken for an hour since I totally forgot about the long marinade time, but the ranch flavor was still very nice. It came through rather delicately with a twang that Ryan couldn't put his finger on. Seasoning each step with ranch is really important I think. The simple addition of some honey to my beloved Frank's was also great.

Would I make this again? For sure.

Ranch Chicken

Ingredients:

2 pounds chicken wings (split at the joint, tips removed) or 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (sliced into strips)
3 1-ounce packets ranch dressing mix
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Freshly ground pepper
3 large eggs
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/4 cup honey

Directions:

1. Toss the chicken with 1 packet dressing mix in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 4 hours.

2. Whisk the flour, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 packet dressing mix in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, 2 tablespoons water and the remaining packet dressing mix.

3.Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, then dip into the egg mixture and return to the flour mixture, turning to coat. Transfer to a rack.

4. Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Fry chicken in batches until crisp and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

5. Whisk the hot sauce and honey in a bowl. Serve with the wings.

4 comments:

  1. OK Alana, I finally joined this blog. Not that I had made an active decision not to, but the recipes you reviewed recently are great, as well as your pics. (Why are your photos so good? Maybe that's something not to be shared.) I hate chicken wings bec of the bones but LOVE the flavors so I might actually make this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thank you! It took me a while to get my pictures to look like they do, but I'm happy to share any info you'd like. I use a DSLR so that definitely helps and I found the large north facing window in my dining room has the nicest light. I also like to use all white dishes (that's all I buy really) since I think they photography better.

    hmmm...maybe I should do a post about how I photograph my food. (It'd be pretty short though since I don't do anything too special.) It always amuses me how I make one plate all pretty but the rest are just thrown together. lol

    ReplyDelete