Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Two Books I Didn't Finish

I feel like it has been forever since I talked about books, but I just haven't been too blown away lately. Reading a recent post over at The Book Smugglers about not finishing books got me thinking about two kind of recent letdowns though. Keep in mind that this is only my opinion and everyone should judge these books for themselves.

1. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

Summary:
"These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me…and the one who cursed me."

So begins the journal of Will Henry, orphaned assistant to Dr. Pellinore Warthrop, a man with a most unusual specialty: monstrumology, the study of monsters. In his time with the doctor, Will has met many a mysterious late-night visitor, and seen things he never imagined were real. But when a grave robber comes calling in the middle of the night with a gruesome find, he brings with him their most deadly case yet.

Even though the blurb is amazing and I'd heard a lot of great things from other people, this book just didn't do anything for me. I checked it out of the library twice and picked it up more times than I can count, but I never could get into the story. Instead of resonating with me, the story fell completely flat. It's really too bad as I was prepared to love this story.

2. Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh

Summary:
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she's the best—but she doesn't know if she's good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, only one thing is clear—failure is not an option...even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other…and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn't destroy her, succumbing to Raphael's seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break…

This book was just too much of everything. Elena was too much of a bad ass. Raphael was too coolly seductive. There was too much "I hate him!" and then "But I want him!" back and forth. There was too much talking and not enough doing. Even though this book may be okay for a paranormal romance, it was not what I had thought it would be. So I never finished it.

3 comments:

  1. THE MONSTRUMENTALIST WAS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD!!! i loved it so hard its on display on my dresser o.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dannie: See! I don't get it. Maybe I should just give it a while and then try again.

    Paula: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete