Monday, October 4, 2010

Chicken Gyros

I'm a little embarrassed to say that this was the first time I've had chicken gyros. I don't know why, but it was just one of those things I never got around to eating. How that's possible I have no idea, but it is what it is I suppose. Luckily, this recipe was just the thing I needed to try my hand at making gyros.

IMG_8947

I really can't express how good this dish is. The combination of the flavorful chicken, the creamy sauce, and the bite of the red onion and tomato is wonderful. I would not skimp on the onion or tomato topping either. It really brings the whole dish together and was super tasty. I used Greek yogurt and skipped a step, but if you'd like to strain regular yogurt yourself you can find directions here. Greek yogurt is not expensive enough for me to worry too much about it though.

Also, don't be daunted by the ingredient list. Most of the ingredients are used twice and a lot of them you should have on hand. I would recommend cutting the tzatziki sauce way down though. I cut mine in half and I still had tons left over so you might want to keep that in mind. Even if you aren't a big gyro fan, I would recommend this marinade for any chicken dish where you want garlicky flavor. Seriously, the chicken was delicious.

Would I make this again? Most definitely.

Chicken Gyros

*Note: Marinating chicken which will take 1-2 hours so plan ahead!

*Makes enough chicken and tzatziki for approximately 4-6 gyros.


Ingredients:

For the tzatziki sauce:
16 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1/2 hothouse cucumber or 1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded (I used 1/2 of an English cucumber)
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press (or finely minced)
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Extra virgin olive oil

For the chicken:
4 cloves garlic, smashed
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

To assemble:
Soft wrap bread (or pita bread)
Fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
Red onion, sliced thin

Directions:

1. To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk together until mixed well. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.

2. To make the tzatziki sauce, shred the cucumber. Wrap in a towel a squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and lemon juice. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld.

3. Cook the chicken as desired, either in the skillet or with the broiler. (I browned them in a hot skillet.) Once the chicken is completely cooked through, transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.

4. Heat pitas. Top with chicken, tzatziki sauce, diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. i am so going to make these. ive never even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that! Hope they turn out good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this recipe all the time. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete