Thursday, November 18, 2010

Comforting Chicken Potpie

There are so many cookbooks that it can be hard to decide which ones are worth the money and shelf space. The Comfort Diner Cookbook is definitely one of those books. The recipe for biscuits and gravy was all it took to win me over and I've made this pot pie at least 20 times. It is a staple in our house for the colder months and I can't imagine even trying another recipe. The potatoes are really what does it for me and a little shredded cheddar makes things even better in my opinion (especially when re-heating leftovers). If you like your pot pies chunky and filling then this is the recipe for you. You can even use a rotisserie chicken to cut out a step if you like.

IMG_9316IMG_9327

I always throw in a little extra veggie so I can make one big pot pie and one small one for Ryan to take to work the next day. I know, I'm wonderful. I've made this pot pie with puff pastry, regular pie crust, and even phyllo. Regular pie crust is by far the best. I use store bought pie crust cause I'm lazy, but do whatever you like. This works for me since I need two crusts. I find it easiest to spoon the mixture into the pans and then pour the cream mixture over top. Sometimes I have a lot of liquid and this avoids spills. I'm pretty sure I use a deeper pie dish, but I can't remember for sure.

Would I make this again? As I said, this dish is already a family favorite.

Comforting Chicken Potpie

Ingredients:

4 6-to 8-ounce chicken breasts
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups small-diced carrots (2 to 3 medium-sized carrots)
1 cup small-diced celery (2 to 3 stalks)
1 cup small-diced red onion (1 medium-sized onion)
2 cups medium-diced red potatoes (6 medium-sized potatoes)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
4 cups chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
Salt and ground white pepper to taste
1 cup frozen green peas
1 pie crust (store bought or homemade)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil the chicken for 10 minutes, until cooked through. Be careful not to overcook the chicken, as it will be cooked more later.

2. While the chicken is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and sauté the carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes for 5 minutes. Again, be careful to avoid overcooking. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set them aside in a large bowl.

3. When the chicken has cooked, remove from the water and drain. Slice it into bite-sized pieces.

4. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining ¼ cup butter. Sprinkle the flour over the butter. Stir gently and frequently for 2 to 3 minutes, until the flour is absorbed and the bubbling mixture is lightly golden.

5. Add the heavy cream and chicken stock. Mix thoroughly. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the chicken and the sautéed vegetables. Season with the salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes more. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and add the frozen peas.

6. Roll out the puff pastry so it is 2 inches larger than the pie pan. Place it over the pan and tuck down the edges into the pan. Cut a few slits on the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape. (I brush the crust with a beaten egg for extra browning.) Bake for about 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

Project2


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe! I've been looking for a simple chicken pot pie recipe to bake this winter...even though I'm down in Florida and the weather is still summer-like right now, doesn't mean my cooking has to be :)

    ReplyDelete