Friday, November 5, 2010

Fabric Covered Button Earrings DIY

It's been so long since I posted a craft/DIY tutorial, that I thought I'd share this super simple project with you. This is one of those things that a lot of people actually ask me about when I'm wearing these earrings. I can't even count the number of times I've been whispering directions in one of my classes in fact. The thing I love most about this project is it's simplicity.

Copy of IMG_9496 copy

It is also really versatile since any size of button and fabric can be used. Some of these pictures are even from my Fabric Rosette Brooch tutorial since I used these little buttons there too. I've also used this technique to make my own personalized push-pins for my bulletin board. All you have to do is switch out thumb tacks for earring posts and you're good to go. The ideas are endless.

Fabric Covered Button DIY

Supplies:

Button Cover Kit (I got mine at JoAnn's)
Fabric scraps
Earring posts
Glue gun

IMG_8873

Directions:

1. Cut a piece of fabric using the template on the package for help. (The fabric should be about 1/4" larger than the white plastic button maker.) Place the fabric in the button maker and the metal button on top. The you're going to tuck any excess fabric nice and neat. Now put the back of the metal button on top of plastic button maker and use the blue plastic pusher tool that comes with the Button Cover Kit to push the back of the button into the white plastic button maker until the shank is connected inside the button.

IMG_2772
IMG_2773
IMG_2774
IMG_2775

2. Once you have both buttons covered, then all you have to do is glue on your earring posts. Your buttons may have a metal piece sticking up in the back, but that can easily be removed with a pair of pliers (example here). The easiest way I've found is to actually squeeze both ends together and wiggle them out.

IMG_9488
IMG_9487
IMG_9491

3. Allow the glue to dry and you're all set.

IMG_9503
IMG_9496 copy

5 comments:

  1. So cute! And so easy!! I have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooo cute.
    i cant wait to get solid employment so i can actually buy the crap to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it! The nice thing is the buttons are super cheap and you can always use an old pair of earrings (as long as they're flat) if you don't want to buy the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey :) thank you so much for posting this! It's one of the clearest i've come across :) I'm going to try it tomorrow.

    Janice from singapore.

    ReplyDelete