Tuesday, November 30, 2010

French Onion Dip

I made this dip for my Halloween costume party and it was super tasty. I know some of you are probably wondering why you would make French Onion Dip when you can buy it in the store. I thought exactly the same thing. But since I had everything on had, I decided to give it a go anyways. And I'm sure glad I did.

IMG_9484

I don't know if I'd say I never plan on buying French Onion Dip again, but this dip was still very delicious. I made it the night before since almost all the comments said it gets better the longer it sits in the fridge. It was easy to throw together and everyone enjoyed it. There's a sweetness from the caramelized onions that some people didn't seem too keen on, but I liked it. I used my cheap mandolin-style food slicer from walmart in order to make cutting the onions a snap. You can always use a food processor instead.

Would I make this again? Sure.

French Onion Dip

Ingredients:

2 tbl butter
2 Vidalia onions, sliced into 1/4-inch rings (about 4 cups)
2 large shallots, sliced into 1/8-inch rings (about 1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sour cream
1 c mayonnaise
1 t celery salt
1 t Worcestershire
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t salt
Chives, finely chopped for garnish
Potato chips or veggies for dipping

Directions:

In a large sauté pan over medium high heat add butter.

When butter is melted, add onions and sauté stirring occasionally until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.

Add shallots and sauté for 10 minutes more until onions and shallots are dark brown.

Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 6 minutes, then chop into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, celery salt, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.

Fold in onion mixture.

Chill at least 1 hour or overnight, prior to serving. Add chives and serve.

Source: Guy Fieri

1 comment:

  1. Dangit, I need to learn how to cook becaus this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete