Sunday, November 21, 2010

Steaks with Pomegranate-Pinot Sauce

This recipe is surprisingly elegant and absolutely perfect for this time of year. I really liked the texture of the seeds paired with the meat and the sauce was super tasty. The combination of sweet and savory was just perfect. I've mentioned many times that I'm not a big meat eater on this blog, but sometimes I find myself craving a steak and this is the perfect way to make it. Combined with Garlicky Baked Fries and a simple salad and you have yourself a lovely meal.

IMG_9552

I ended up using pomegranate and blueberry juice since the grocery store didn't have any pomegranate juice by itself, but it turned out great. Plus it was a lot cheaper. I also added way more pepper since I prefer my steaks pepper-crusted, but as always do what makes you happy. I didn't have any shallots on hand so I used fourth of a red onion.

Would I make this again? Most definitely.

Steaks with Pomegranate-Pinot Sauce

Ingredients:

4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1/3 cup pinot noir or burgundy wine
1/3 cup pomegranate juice
1/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
1 thyme sprig
1 1/2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Directions:

1. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steaks evenly with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.

2. Add shallots to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, wine, juice, broth, and thyme sprig; bring to a boil. Cook 7 minutes or until reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Remove from heat; discard thyme sprig. Add butter to sauce, stirring until butter melts. Serve sauce with steaks.

IMG_9556

2 comments:

  1. I tried to cook with wine for the 1st time recently and the results were disastrous. Have you ever had trouble cooking with alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had any trouble myself and I cook with wine pretty often. What happened? Were you making a pan sauce (like in this recipe)?

    ReplyDelete