Saturday, December 11, 2010

Apple Dumplings

You've probably seen this recipe all over the interwebs by now, but I thought I'd throw it out there as well. I first saw this recipe in a magazine and thought it looked interesting. I tore out the page and promptly forgot all about it. But then I saw the same recipe over at The Pioneer Woman and it looked too good to pass up. These dumplings really are as good as everyone has said. While I didn't fully enjoy the softness of the apple, the texture of the dumpling was wonderful. Crispy on top but soft on the bottom, the only thing these dumplings need is a little ice cream. Full warning though: there's an obscene amount of butter and sugar in this dish.

IMG_0048

If you'd like to see step-by-step pictures just follow the link above, but the directions are pretty straight forward. I cut the recipe in half which gave me eight dumplings (how many crescents come in one can). If you plan to do the same, a 7" x 11" baking dish is perfect. I also just poured the Mt. Dew around the pan without measuring so don't stress over it.

Would I make this again? Yes, but only if I had people over to eat the rest so I didn't feel the need to gobble them all up myself. Also, you really need the ice cream here.

Apple Dumplings

Ingredients:

2 whole Granny Smith Apples
2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
2 sticks Butter
1-½ cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Cinnamon, To Taste
1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda

Directions:

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

1. Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.

2. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir (you want the mixture to be lumpy). Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples.

3. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment