Friday, January 21, 2011

7 Layer Bean Dip

This is my Aunt Kym's signature dish. She's always asked to bring it for parties and BBQs and I try my hardest to take home any leftovers. Even though it looks a bit unassuming, this bean dip is fantastic. Ryan and I can easily eat a whole dish of it in just a couple of days. I actually like to top mine with shredded lettuce since I like the crispness, but it's all about personal preference.

IMG_6169

The big secret of this dip is mixing the sour cream and taco seasoning. Peppers are optional and I usually leave them out since some people don't' like too much heat (though I like to throw a few jalapeno slices on mine). You can also control the heat by whatever salsa you decide to get. You can make your own guacamole if you like, but I personally think Wholly guacamole is just as good.

Would I make this again? Of course!

7 Layer Bean Dip

Ingredients:

1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
1-2 (7 oz) packages of Wholly Guacamole (any kind)
1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (6 ounce) can diced green peppers (optional)
1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded (optional)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

1. In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and sour cream together.

2. Spread beans in any oven safe dish of your choosing. One can of refried beans is perfect for an 8x8 baking dish (or something similar in size). Then you want to add your jar of salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. The order doesn't really matter, but I usually add the salsa, guacamole, and then the sour cream mixture. I don't really know why. I think I did it differently in these pictures too so you can probably just ignore me. Point being, it doesn't really matter.

3. Top the layers with cheese and black olives.

4. Heat the dip in the oven until the cheese is melted and the dip is just warmed through. Serve immediately.

IMG_6166

No comments:

Post a Comment