Monday, January 31, 2011

Bacon Pierogi Bake

This is one of those perfect weeknight dishes. It takes just a few minutes to put together and uses really inexpensive ingredients. This was the first time I've ever had pierogies and I really like them. Basically potato-filled dumplings, pierogies are an easy way to stretch a buck without feeling like it. I love food like that.

IMG_6465

I added more cream cheese and chicken broth then the recipe states so I would have more sauce. I figured I might as well since I had leftovers. This will feed about 4, but it is really easy to double or halve based on your needs. Served a simple green salad along side (and maybe some garlic bread if you're feeling zesty) and you've got yourself an easy and filling dinner.

Would I make this again? Already have. :)

Bacon Pierogi Bake

Ingredients:

1 (16-ounce) package frozen potato and onion pierogies (such as Mrs. T's)
Cooking spray
2 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped seeded plum tomato
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°.

1. Arrange the pierogies in an 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan. Set aside.

2. Add garlic to drippings in pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/3 cup cream cheese to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until cream cheese begins to melt, stirring frequently. Gradually add chicken broth to pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly over pierogies.

3. Top evenly with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with bacon, green onions, tomato, and pepper.

IMG_6468
Source: Cooking Light

3 comments:

  1. Do you think this recipe could be made the day before and then reheated or would it become doughy? We like to go camping and I like to prep my meals at home and then just reheat either on the barbeque or in the microwave in the trailer. If it is suitable to reheat would it be better in a casserole dish in the microwave or in a disposable tin plate on the barbecue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albainne: I honestly don't know. The potatoes make the pierogies kind of doughy feeling already, but you'll never know till you try. Maybe you could under-bake them a little and leave the cheese (and toppings) off till you re-heat it. I've had reheated left overs and I didn't hate it, but it's hard to know what you'll like or not. Sometimes cheese gets hard when it's reheated though I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I'd say try the microwave. I don't know if it's worth the effort of using the bbq for something like this. Of course I'm really lazy. haha

    ReplyDelete