Friday, January 7, 2011

Maghound

My mom likes to collect books she thinks I'll like. And while I love this about her, it has turned out to be kind of a pain since I moved to Utah. There were so many books that I wanted to bring back from our trip to San Diego that Ryan joked we would probably have to leave Holden behind. Chock it up to my stubbornness or Ryan's willingness to make me happy (or not have to listen to me bitch...same difference), but we we're finally able to stuff our car with dozens and dozens of random books that I had decided I couldn't live without.

As you can guess, living with me is not always easy.

One of the main things my mom stockpiles for me are cookbooks and this time she had almost a whole year (from 2009 randomly) of the Rachel Ray cooking magazines. I don't know if I've ever mentioned my absolute love for magazines but when I saw a mention of maghound in one of the Rachel Ray's issues, I knew I had to sign up right away.

Wow. That was a lot of rambling to get to the point wasn't it? Oh well. My name is Alana and I like to ramble.

Described as a "Netflix for magazine subscriptions," maghound allows subscribers to pick and choose multiple magazines to be delivered without signing up for subscriptions to each magazine. And since you aren't subscribing to the individual magazines, you can change what magazines you want to receive each month. Like Netflix, maghound uses different price tiers that customers can chose from.


If you decide to get three magazines, which is what I did, then you're going to pay about $60 a year. This is probably the price you'd pay if you subscribed to each magazine individually, but the flexibility of changing your magazine selections is really what makes maghound special. But here's the really cool part: If you order a magazine that only comes a few times a year, you get to choose a "substitution" magazine for the months you don't receive one. So I;m really getting three and a half magazine subscriptions so I do actually save money in the long run.

I used to read a lot of fashion magazines, but I realized most of them are crap for what I like to read. Now I only allow myself to buy two magazines a month, Food Network and Cooking Light. Since I always buy them from the store, I spend almost $9 a month so this was a practical decision for me.

So if you love magazines, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

2 comments:

  1. oh em gee. I wish I had the disposable income to do this. Le sigh, the life of a penniless college student...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a penniless student too, but who needs to eat right?

    ReplyDelete