Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Let Me Paint Something for You

Someone on facebook sent me a link for something called the TwinGeekz Artz Project. At first I was like "wtf," but it turns out the project is essentially a challenge to make a piece of art every week for an entire year. The idea is that deadlines often force people to be creative. Personally, I think this is completely true for the most part. If I need to make something for someone's birthday, then I will pump it out (usually at the last minute). If I'm just toying around with an idea for myself though, I tend to put it off indefinitely. Seriously, I have quite a few half finished canvases and sewing projects just sitting around taking up space.

IMG_7591

I had a really hard time deciding whether or not I wanted to participate. It's not that I don't think the challenge is great, it's just that my workload for school is a bit crazy and I already feel like I "waste" a lot of time doing things like blogging and reading. I also have concerns that I'm not creative enough or good enough to do something like this. Of course these are the issues everyone has and I'm trying to just push them to the back of my mind. At the end of the day I want to be challenged.

IMG_7614

So I'm gonna do it. And the reason I'm posting about it is because I'd love to make something for you if you want. I hate the unsureness I feel whenever I make a picture for someone who hasn't specifically indicated that they'd like one so I'm trying to avoid that. Plus, 52 pieces is quite a lot so you're actually helping me by giving me ideas. So don't be shy.

IMG_5554

If you do want me to make you something, there are a few things you need to know. One, your picture will probably be small-ish (think 8x10') and I'll probably use those flat canvas panels. This is cause they're cheap and I don't have a job. If you would like something bigger, you can always pay for the cost of a canvas. Canvases aren't terribly expensive and you can get a pretty good size for less than ten bucks. I feel weird even mentioning this (like I'm some car salesmen or something), but this is actually a really inexpensive way to get a good-sized piece of personalized art. (Or a gift for someone you like.) Other then that, you just need to have a picture in mind that you'd like to me use. If you don't want a picture of your smiling face blown up, then it could be anything. I think I'm gonna make one with an owl for one of my girlfriends and I think a skyline would be cool. I might make a multi-panelled one of San Diego for myself in fact.

Okay, I totally rambled on but let me know. You can get a hold me in a dozen different ways or just leave a comment. For some reason I feel kind of embarrassed about this. Like no one will want me to or I'm pressuring you guys. I swear that's not the case! Also, feel free to participate yourself in the challenge. :)

ETA: Just wanted to let everyone know the challenge doesn't start till next month. so if I haven't gotten a hold of you, I will eventually. I promise. Thanks!

14 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome. I'm actually in desperate need of wall art. Are you opposed to doing multiple pieces for me (as in, like a weeks worth)?! I'd be fine paypaling you money to purchase the canvases and shipping charges. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do something like that! The Joann's by me has sales on their canvases like every other week so they're super affordable.

    I just need to know what colors you'd prefer so it matches the room and what you had in mind in regards to size and pics. Depending on how big a space you'd like to fill, a multi-paneled piece might work better. Less expensive for the canvases too.

    Yay I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and I'd love for you to make me something!

    I need something for in my livingroom - it's mainly dark chocolate brown, muddy lime green, with some cream and even light blue thrown in.

    I'd love nature inspired things - branches, leaves, birds, flowers.

    Let me know if you'd be interested in doing it and how much I can send you through paypal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE it if you could make me something! I would also paypal you for the shipping and canvas costs if that works.

    My room is mostly black and neon colors, bright pinks, greens, blues, yellow...you know, like the 80's threw up all over it. If you could do something with a pirate ship perhaps, that would be awesome. Or an anchor. Something nautical? Anyway, this is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have something! Blues and greens, blue-greens (teal especially) and maybe something with music would be cool. Or tea stuff. I'll leave that up to whatever strikes your creative fancy!

    I'm also willing to paypal you for postage, and I want to make you something in return, so PM me on Facebook colors, themes, shapes, etc. that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw your responses are making me so glad. I'm gonna email you guys individually so we can hammer out the details some time tomorrow, but I wanted to say thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alana,

    I want one! And I'll def pay for a bigger canvas. I hope you're not going to get too overwhelmed. I'm not even sure what picture I would want to use or a theme or anything . . . open to ideas. I'll think about it too.

    Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE one! If you haven't got too much on your hands with all the other people who want one, that is. And I wouldn't mind paying for a bigger canvas/paying postage. My email is oakwitch at gmail dot com if you want to contact me about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My only question is, Who wouldn't want some of your artwork?

    Count me in !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Alana! This is really awesome. And you're so creative! Those pictures are awesome. I would also love for you to make me something. I was thinking of just something small with Ethan's name on it for his bedroom. He likes the colors black, blue and green. I don't have anything specific in mind. Maybe just something funky like the pictures you have posted. I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping or any other costs for that matter. Just let me know. I'm not sure if my email address shows up or not. You can email me at autumnbreeze26@gmail.

    Just awesome! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pleasant thing to wake up to! And no worries about me feeling overwhelmed. Remember, I got to make one a week. That's a whole lot. lol

    I will email all of you guys! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like such a good idea. I'm super unproductive, so I can respect anyone who can make good shit that quickly.

    I would love something incorporating either Ancient Japanese or Renaissance art (my latest unhealthy obsessions)

    OR, if that's too broad, something with Teen Titans for my sister (HER latest unhealthy obsession)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has to be one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen. I wish you loads of luck and lots of fun, too! ^.^

    ReplyDelete