Sunday, May 15, 2011

Best Ever Potato Salad

Potato salad is one of those dishes that everyone seems to be particular about. For me, mustard and dill pickle are a must. I also love celery for the added crunch. So while this recipe is called "Best Ever Potato Salad," I realize it may not be the best for some people. For me though, this recipe is one of those golden recipes where you feel like you'll never make the dish any other way. Seriously, this potato salad is majorly yummy.

IMG_7234

The original recipe called for red bell pepper, but I swapped it out for some dill pickle. I was also weary about the Dijon mustard since I'm not a big fan, but I think it's perfect here. I don't use red potatoes either. Instead I usually use baking potatoes (Idaho or Russets). You just got to make sure you don't overcook them. In the end you'll end up with something perfect though. The sugar adds a sweet balance and the bacon adds a hint of smokiness that gives the potato salad extra deliciousness.

Would I make this again?
Oh yes. It's my go-to recipe for now on.

Best Ever Potato Salad

Ingredients:

4 cups cubed baking potatoes
10 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 large dill pickle (or 2-3 small), chopped

Directions:

1. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender, being careful not to overcook. Drain the potatoes and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.

3. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, salt, and reserved bacon drippings. Whisk to combine.

4. Add the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion and pickle to the dressing and gently stir to evenly coat. Stir in the bacon.

5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.

IMG_7229

Source: Brown Eye Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment