Monday, July 18, 2011

Soaking up the hours that everyone else throws away

I've always been a night person. For as long as I can remember I've stayed up too late and woken up far past what's considered seemly. Of course, I've never really based my life on what is or isn't seemly. What an awful way to be described now that I think about it. I don't know what it is, but around ten or eleven I feel like I should be doing things. Suddenly I feel the urge to start a new project or organize the pile of precariously placed objects I call my house (of course I gallantly resist the latter urge in most cases so fear not dear reader). For me, there's just something magical about the middle of the night. It's like anything is possible and I love when it's so late that time doesn't even matter anymore.

Some late nights are for making news friends and others are for forging new relationships with people you thought you'd always known. Other nights, it seems like memories and bittersweet recollections are on the menu. I both love and hate those nights in particular. As you can probably guess, I'm in a bit of a mood this evening. I heard this song today and it made me think of all the friendships that I regret not taking better care of.



There are definitely a few people who I can't help but feel like I'm waiting for them to come back to me (not to sound egotistical). Part of me resents that hope and the other part keeps on keeping on. I think it's time I reached out to a few people though. How long can you wait for something to happen without making any effort? I've been missing my friends and family in San Diego more than usual lately as well. I think I have too much time to think during the summer's relentless days.

Sorry for being a bit of a downer. It's after three and I think it's time I finally went to bed anyways.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. The title is from the song "after hours" by we are scientists.

    ReplyDelete