Saturday, May 28, 2011

Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies with Chocolate Chips

When I saw a recipe for Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip-Bacon Cookies in my food magazine, I knew I had to give the somewhat strange combination a try. I'd been meaning to toss some bacon into my desserts, but I'd just never got around to it till last night. I ended up using a much more simple recipe that turned out to be so fricken good. While I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter and my boyfriend isn't into sweet and salty treats (blasphemy I know), but we both loved these cookies. I think it might be the combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar, but cookies themselves are so good. Add bacon and chocolate to the mix and you've got a winner.

IMG_7563

This recipe only has six ingredients (including the bacon and chocolate chips) and doesn't include any flour or butter. My only tip with this dish is to make sure you don't overcook your bacon. My bacon was pretty crunchy and some parts were a bit hard to chew in the cookie. Next time I'll take the bacon out of the pan a minute earlier then I normally would to see if that helps. This recipe should give you 15-16 cookies.

Would I make this again? Sorry what was that? I was too busy stuffing my face. Nom nom nom...

Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies with Chocolate Chips


Ingredients:

1 cup all-natural chunky or smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 slices of bacon, cooked, cooled and dices
handful of chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1. In a skillet over medium high heat, fry up bacon until cooked through and let cool on paper towels until cool enough to dice. Dice up and set aside.

2. Grease a baking sheet with butter and set aside. In a mixer combine peanut butter and sugars until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add egg and baking soda and mix for another 2 minutes. Fold in cooked bacon.

3. Roll into large walnut sized balls and create a cris-cross pattern with a fork. If you’d like, roll the dough balls in granulated sugar before making the cris-cross pattern.

4. Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to… your mouth.

IMG_7560

Source: adapted from Joy the Baker

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, bacon and peanut butter, yum. Now that's the way to make a good cookie! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweets-for-saturday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I moved to Tennessee a few years ago, I figured since I was in the Land of The King (Elvis), I might as well eat like The King. I made a peanut butter and bacon sandwhich. It was sooo good.
    Of course, I am a freak for anything peanut butter. Add bacon, and it's perfection. I can almost taste your cookies reading this !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa: Thank you. I'll definitely check it out.

    Mac: I've never been a huge fan of peanut butter for some reason. I bet a nutella and bacon sandwich would be delish though. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete