Saturday, May 14, 2011

Removable Shoe Elastics with Bows DIY

I have a pair of simple black patent pumps that are about half a size too big. I've tried every different technique to make them fit, but at the end of the day they just won't stay on. After seeing some shoes with elastic bands around them, I realized I'd found a simple solution. Then I saw these shoes and realized a bow was a must have:

Project5

You can use store bought bows to make this project even easier, but you can also leave them off or use something else you like (flowers for example). This project is almost exactly like my Bow Ring tutorial, but instead of attaching the bow to a ring base you attach the bow to some elastic. I decided to use a matching material, but something contrasting could also be really interesting.

Project1

Removable Shoe Elastics with Bows

Supplies:

Some material
Glue (I used hot glue)
Needle and thread
Elastic

IMG_9504
Directions:
IMG_9506

1. Cut out two strips of fabric. (Use a piece of painters tape as a guide if you want it to be straight.) Your bow will be half the size of the strip you cut so the length is really up to you. I prefer mine on the large side.

IMG_2428

2. Cut the corners off of both sides. This will get rid of some of the excess fabric and make the bow lie more smoothly. It doesn’t have to be perfect since you won’t see it. Put a small bit of glue in the center and fold both sides to meet in the middle. You’re gonna want to be careful with the amount of glue you use since hot glue is really rigid when it dries and can make it difficult to get your bow shaped properly. Then glue your folded piece to the center of your other strip of fabric.

IMG_9507IMG_9510

3. Pinch your strip into a bow shape. If you want you can place little dabs of glue into the folds on both the front and back to hold it in place. Since my bow is a bit bigger, I used a needle and thread instead. This just gives me more flexibility. Then you’ll want to run a small line of glue down the center of the smaller strip and wrap it around the bow.

IMG_9513IMG_9514
IMG_9515IMG_9516
IMG_9518IMG_9519
IMG_9520

Alternatively, you could use a small hair elastic instead of the needle and thread.

IMG_7422IMG_7420
IMG_7421

4. Cut your second strip of fabric into points or just straight lines. Whatever you want. You can even leave them off if you aren't fond of them. I tried both and I preferred them myself.

IMG_9521

5. Measure and cut two pieces of elastic. Sew the ends together with the needle and thread. I'd recommend also adding a little hot glue to make sure things are super secure.

IMG_9729

6. Glue your bows to the elastic. I found it easiest to put the elastic around my arm and glue the bow on that way. You want to make sure the elastic is stretched when you glue on your bow.

IMG_7429

And there you have it. Slide them over your shoes and you're good to go. No more worrying about your heels falling off! Yay!

IMG_7439
IMG_7433

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this, thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear it! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OmG! I was thinking Make This For ma' Shoes specially cuz u can put the bow in the heel too :D Sorry but i needed to write u and i dont speak english just spanish :D

    ReplyDelete