Friday, May 20, 2011

Ribs with Big Daddy Rub

As I get older I realize there are a lot of foods I thought I didn't like until I had them cooked in a way that made me realize I actually kind of love them. (I think vegetables are this way for a lot of people.) Ribs are a good example of this. Most of the ribs I've had have been burnt with little meat. Plus I don't really like eating meat off the bone so I just avoided them the same way I avoid canned spinach. These ribs have completely changed my opinion forever though. Flavorful and meaty, these ribs had us swooning in their sweet but spicy flavor. The rub in this recipe is seriously amazing. We use it on everything now it seems (drumsticks are particularly good).

IMG_7224

This recipe calls for St. Louis style ribs, but since I'm not a butcher I had no idea what that meant. A quick google search and twenty minutes later I knew more about ribs then I ever thought I would. Apparently St. Louis style ribs are spare ribs that have been cut into a more uniform shape. If you can't find St. Louis style ribs, then you can simple make your own by just trimming spare ribs.

Here's a video that explains it well:



I know it can be a pain to do something like this yourself, but I did it and it's really not that hard. Spare ribs are also like a dollar a pound cheaper then St. Louis style ribs and you'll get some boneless meat in the process as well.

Would I make this again? Definitely. I can't wait to have a big bbq and bust these babies out.

This recipe also comes with an Apple Cider Buttermilk Dipping Sauce. I didn't make it myself, but you can find the recipe here if you're interested. I think I'll give it a try next time though.


Ribs with Big Daddy Rub

Ingredients:

5 pounds St. Louis style ribs
2 cups Big Daddy Rub, recipe follows
2 liters cola (recommended: Coca-Cola)
4 cups water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Rub ribs with 1 cup Big Daddy Rub until evenly coated on both sides. Allow ribs to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Place ribs in 2 large roasting pans and cover with the cola and water. Cover with foil and cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove ribs from oven and allow to cool. Slice ribs into individual-size pieces.

3. In a large bowl, toss ribs with another 1 cup of rub until well coated. Spread ribs out on a sheet tray and bake in the oven for an additional 20 minutes until caramelized.

Big Daddy Rub:

I cut this amount in half and I still had plenty left over.

3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup smoked paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons hot chili powder
2 tablespoons cayenne
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.

IMG_7225

Source: Aaron McCargo

No comments:

Post a Comment