Monday, June 13, 2011

Churros with Cinnamon Sugar

For Cinco de Mayo we decided to have some friends over for a little get together. As usual I made too much food, but had lots of fun doing it. It was also our first real weekend after finals so margaritas and piƱa coladas were a must. I made Ricky Bayless' Chipotle Meatballs, Mexican Chocolate Crunch Brownies, Black Bean and Corn Wonton Cups, chicken and guacamole wonton cups, churros, and chips and dip (which my lovely friend Tiffany got from a local Mexican restaurant).

IMG_7277
IMG_7281
Unfortunately the wonton cups and the churros were the only dishes I really liked. The brownies were good, but I didn't like the cereal base and the meatballs were perfectly fine, but I absolutely adore Ina's Spicy Turkey Meatballs and don't see the point (plus I thought the mint was kind of weird). The churros though were very good. Easy to make and a pleasant little treat, who doesn't like fried dough rolled in sugar? The only thing downside is they seemed to get soggy fairly quickly. The original recipe came with a chocolate dipping sauce that I plan on making next time. Just follow the link at the bottom of the post if you're interested in that.

Here's a video of Giada De Laurentiis making churros. It's a different recipe but you can see how simple it really is:



Would I make this again? I'm not sure I've found the churro recipe yet, but this one was very good.

Churros

Ingredients:

1 cup water
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
canola oil

Cinnamon sugar:
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions:


1. In a medium sauce pot bring water, butter, salt and sugar to a low boil
Add in flour and stir until mixture comes together and begins to roll into a ball and becomes shiny. Turn off heat and continue to cook, stirring for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

2. Once cooled but still warm stir in eggs and vanilla one at a time until incorporated ( you may use a mixer or stir by hand). Place dough into a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip.

3. Heat 2-3 inches of canola oil to 375 degrees in large heavy bottom pot or a shallow saute pan with high sides. Carefully squeeze 3 inches of pastry dough into the hot oil, cutting off each churros by swiping off at the tip with your finger or a knife. Oil will bubble around the churros vigorously- when bubbles begin to die down and churros are golden- flip over and repeat, about 1 minute on each side.

4. Place cooked churros onto paper towel to drain off excess oil and toss in sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm.

Source: Satisfied

2 comments:

  1. Joy the Baker just posted a churro with a dipping sauce you might like. I haven't tried them myself but it looked delicious.

    Oooh, when did your banner get all shmancy? I like it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look that up! I changed my banner a few months ago but thanks! I've been thinking about changing it again. lol

    ReplyDelete