Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Budget Dinners: Oven Hot Dogs

This recipe may seem a bit silly I know. When I saw it I thought "who needs a recipe for chili dogs?," but then I tried it and I realized Oven Hot Dogs are something special.

IMG_7588

I don't know why baking the chili dogs makes such a difference, but it does. The mustard and relish were also a wonderful surprise. I'm not a fan of mayonnaise so I left it off mine (Ryan said is was yummy though) and I used dill relish instead of sweet, but the combination of smoky chili with tangy mustard and pickle relish was amazing. It really made regular chili dogs into something a little unexpected.

Would I make this again? Yes!

Oven Hot Dogs

Ingredients:

8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns
1 can of chili
1/2 an onion, diced
cheddar cheese
mayonnaise
mustard
sweet relish

Directions:

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

1. Line inside of hot dog buns with mayonnaise and sweet relish. Evenly add mustard. Fill with hot dogs and squish into a 13×9″ baking pan.

2. Top hot dogs with chili, cheese, and diced onion. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

IMG_7584

Source: In the Wabe

12 comments:

  1. Ha! I love hot dogs, and those a purely decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Why haven't I ever thought of this!? My boyfriend will FLIP over this recipe! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I told my hubby since I'm injured he could totally make these for lunch! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oven dogs! Sometimes I make them with turkey dogs to make them a bit more healthy...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a dish,
    chili is awesomeand very spicy .My brother loves it very much. in other words he is mad for it.i will surely prepare it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chili recipe is my favourite because i love spicy food. when my mum prepare it for me its value increases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making this for dinner tonight! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this recipe is from inthewabe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I have it listed as the source.

      Delete
  9. My sister and I have done these for years. But they're even better with sliced green olives on top.

    ReplyDelete