Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tortellini in Mushroom-Walnut Cream Sauce

I've seen a few pasta dishes that have walnuts in them, but this is the first I've ever made. Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of crunch and therefore a huge fan of nuts, but I loved how something as simple as a handful of walnuts turned this dish into something special. I really enjoyed the combination of creamy sauce, yummy mushrooms, and the crunch of the walnuts. The best thing about this dish has to be how simple it is. You know all those 30 minute meals that aren't so 30 minutes? Well this dish will be on your table in no time.

IMG_7567

This dish is a lot like a mash-up of the Ravioli/Tortellini with Wild Mushroom Sauce and Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes recipes I've posted before. The latter because of the creaminess of the sauce and the former because of the mushrooms and tortellini. Since I had some pancetta in the fridge, I decided to add it to this dish. I think it added a nice salty bit to the pasta. Other than that all I added was some garlic. If you want to lighten the dish, use the chicken stock and butter from the Ravioli/Tortellini recipe instead of the heavy cream.

Would I make this again? I'm not sure. Even though I liked the pasta, I felt like it was missing something (maybe some lemon?). The texture combinations was perfect though.

Tortellini in Mushroom-Walnut Cream Sauce


Ingredients:

12 oz ravioli or tortellini, cooked according to package directions
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and walnuts until mushrooms are golden brown.

2. Add heavy cream stir frequently for 5 minutes, until sauce has slightly thickened. When cream stops simmering, turn heat to warm. Add pepper and Parmesan cheese; stir until sauce is smooth. Do not boil.

3. Drain pasta and place on a serving plate. Pour sauce over pasta. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.

IMG_7572

Source: Olive Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment