Sunday, July 3, 2011

BBQ and Party Food Ideas

Here are some food ideas for your next bbq or summer bash. I've shared over a hundred recipes on Sunshine and Bones and these are some of my favorites. I've made most of these recipes dozens of times and they've become real staples in my kitchen. If you're planning a get together then believe me, none of these recipes will steer you wrong.

Classic Deviled Eggs (with relish):

Classic Deviled Eggs (with relish)

These are classic for a reason. I don't know why, but there's just something about a deviled egg that makes everyone happy. I love serving them not only because they're delicious, but also because the eggs can easily be boiled the day before. Then you just have to assemble on the day of the bbq.

Twice Baked Potatoes:

Twice Baked Potatoes

These potatoes are one of the dishes I make most often for company and they never disappoint (and are always gone by the end of the night). What's not to love about potato, cheese, and bacon? A packet of ranch dressing makes all the difference in this recipe.

Buffalo Chicken Dip:

Buffalo Chicken Dip

This dip is by far the group favorite. I get asked to make it quite often and I've never had anyone not like it.

7 Layer Bean Dip:

7 Layer Bean Dip

Another classic, this is probably my favorite dip. Whenever I make it, Ryan and I usually end up hovering over the dish for an embarrassing amount of time. It may not be the prettiest dip the world has seen, but people have been making it for decades with good reason. This is also a good dish to make if you'd like something meatless to serve.

Best Ever Potato Salad:

Best Ever Potato Salad

This picture does not do this potato salad justice. For me, this recipe is one of those golden recipes where you feel like you'll never make the dish any other way. Seriously, this potato salad is majorly yummy.

Corn with Bacon and Scallions:

Corn with Bacon and Scallions

This is the perfect way to get away from all the potatoes and have something light but flavorful to accompany your meal. I know it seems kind of silly to rave about a dish of corn, but this side dish is one of the tastiest corn dishes I've ever had. I cannot express enough love for this dish.

Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes:

Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Tomatoes

A great alternative to other creamy pasta dishes and another solid meat free recipe, this is one of those perfect recipes that is filling, simple, and quick. Admittedly, it may be a bit heavy with all the cream.

Panzanella:

Panzanella

If you like fresh vegetables you will not be disappointed by this recipe since it's basically just a fresh veggie salad with bread. Where the last dish may seem heavy, this one is the exact opposite. Fresh and bright with a nice zing from the vinaigrette, this is by far my most favorite salad. Ever.

Grilled Barbecued Chicken Kebabs:

Grilled Barbecued Chicken Kebabs

I know I just posted this recipe, but I am telling you this chicken is to die for. Make it for yourself and sigh with pleasure. Make it for your friends and reap their praise. There's just no other chicken recipe that compares in my humble opinion.

Smokin’ Chicken Burger:

Smokin’ Chicken Burger

The perfect burger for people who don't like beef. Mushrooms keep it moist and the red sauce makes this burger a little more fancy than the standard.

Ribs with Big Daddy Rub:

Ribs with Big Daddy Rub

Aw, the recipe that made me fall in love with ribs. Flavorful and meaty, these ribs had us swooning in their sweet but spicy flavor. The rub in this recipe is seriously amazing. We use it on everything now it seems (drumsticks are particularly good).

Hawaiian Burger with Caramelized Pineapple and Crisp Bacon:

Hawaiian Burger with Caramelized Pineapple and Crisp Bacon

You should all know I'm not much of a beef fan by now (chicken forever!), but this is my kind of burger. Chocked full of flavor with a little sweet and a little spicy, this is the kind of burger that makes you wish you were on a beach somewhere drinking some kind of colorful drink that comes with a mini-umbrella.

Oven Hot Dogs:

Oven Hot Dogs

After some consideration, I've decided to include this recipe for the benefit of anyone having a lot of kids at their bbq. Though this is cooked in the oven, it's so easy to throw together and I know pickier eaters will love it.

Chocolate Sheet Cake:

Chocolate Sheet Cake

Almost like a fudgy brownie, this cake is great for chocolate lovers and one cake goes a long way. Tastes even better the next day so it's the perfect do-ahead.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars:

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

One of the treats I'm most requested to make, these bars are like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in cookie form. This recipe also yields a lot of servings and is easy to whip together.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite vegetarian bbq recipe is stuffed peppers grilled on the BBQ but I have no any idea to make it at home. Please provide me tips and ingredients.

    bbq ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great orzo stuffed pepper recipe that's vegetarian, but I'm not sure how you'd grill it (unless you simple placed a disposable pan on the grill). Sorry I can't help more.

    http://sunshineandbones.blogspot.com/2009/05/orzo-stuffed-peppers.html

    ReplyDelete