Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth

Happy Fourth of July everyone! Hope your day is spent with loved ones and plenty of bbq.

The Fourth has always been one of my favorite holidays. Not because I'm overly patriotic or anything, but because it's one of the more laid back celebrations. I like being able to just hang out without all the added pressure some of the other holidays seem to have. Plus I love bbq and blowing things up. The Fourth of July combines both of these things in the perfect package.

In celebration of the holiday I decided to make a flag cake after seeing this amazing cake by Glorious Treats. Apparently it was originally from 17 and Baking, but Glory's cake blew me away. Trying to recreate it wasn't as easy as I expected though. My cakes kept falling apart and my leveling skills leave much to be desired. I also had a hard time getting the cake frosted properly. Maybe I should just stick to cupcakes and less fussy deserts from now on.

Here's my best effort:

IMG_7748

haha the zoom hides a lot of the mess but you can see by the right side of the picture how everything is falling apart. Sad face. The only upside is I found a great new frosting. If you'd like to give it a try though, just follow the link for great directions.

2 comments: