Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ringleader Costume

I talked about my Halloween party plans in my last post, so I thought I'd stay with the theme and talk about my costume plans. Since our party will have a carnival theme, I want to dress up as a ringleader. Instead of buying a costume though, I definitely want to make one. I've looked at tons of pictures trying to find something both festive and simple and I've got a loose plan so far.

First of all, this is an example of what I don't want:


That's just gross.

Luckily, I was able to find a few other images to take inspiration from.


I really love the white/red/black combo of the top right image (I even own a black and white striped blazer), but I want the quintessential red jacket. Finding the right jacket has definitely been the hardest part of this project so far. That red jacket in the middle is to die for (made by Michelle Law). It's exactly what I'm looking for, but considering the fact I'm a broke college student I decided a thrift store blazer was my best bet. I was fortunate enough to find one that should be long enough to convert into a tail coat. So far I've found one tutorial that describes how to do just that, but I'm hoping to find a few more.

Not wanting to abandon the stripes though, I've decided a black and white striped skirt is in order. Since full skirts are the one thing I can actually sew, I just need to track down the right fabric and I'm good to go. After that's been taken care of, all I need is a top hat and a petticoat. I plan on wearing a simple grey vest and some boots to round out the look since it's simple and I already own them.


I don't know what it is about the shape of my head, but hats hate me (sadface). If a standard top hat isn't in my future, then I'll just make my own mini-top hat. There are tons of tutorials on youtube and I love anything in mini form.

I found this makeup tutorial and I think it'd be perfect for my costume:



Instead of green eyeshadow on the bottom I'm thinking yellow. Bit weird I know.

So that's it. As you can see I've spent far too much time thinking about this. Halloween is my favorite though and I can't help but get excited. I have no idea what Holden and Ryan are planning on wearing, but I think it'd be adorable if Holden was a lion (even more so if Ryan was, but that's not gonna happen).

No comments:

Post a Comment