Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cheddar French Dips with Simple Au Jus

Yes I realize this French Dip is just roast beef on ciabatta, but I still had to share this recipe. I don't know if it's because the weather is changing or I like any excuse to eat bread and gravy, but this sandwich really hit the spot. The au jus was simple and yet dangerously delicious. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to stop eating it in fact. This is the perfect recipe for when you don't feel like cooking but you still want something filling.

IMG_8455

The only thing I changed was making a roux (equal parts flour and butter) before adding the water for the au jus. I did this because I wanted a thicker gravy and I didn't want to risk it having a flour taste. Next time I'll probably just use cornstarch though.

Would I make this again? Most definitely.

Cheddar French Dip with Simple Au Jus

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 ciabatta rolls, split
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound thinly sliced roast beef

Au Jus:

3 cups water
4 teaspoons beef bouillon (or 4 cubes)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper

Directions:

1. In a small skillet, melt butter. Add garlic; saute for 1 minute. Place rolls on a baking sheet; brush cut sides with garlic butter. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

2. Place the water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; whisk in the beef bouillon. Whisk in the soy sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. (If you like a thicker Au Jus gravy, you can also whisk in a little flour to thicken it.)

3. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, place beef on rolls. Serve sandwiches with remaining broth for dipping. Yield: 4 servings.

Source: Taste of Home and Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment