Friday, October 7, 2011

Double Crunch Honey Garlic Pork Chops

I was supposed to post this recipe yesterday, but it looks like I totally spaced out and forgot. Oops!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a chicken girl through and through. Since I'm a wonderful person though (and oh so humble!), I like to make pork chops for Ryan every once and a while. Even though I love pretty much every other pork product, pork chops have never appealed to me. There's something about the texture that makes me feel like I'm chewing fat. So when I say that these pork chops are amazing and may have changed my opinion about pork chops completely, you know it's got to be something special.

IMG_8432

Maybe it was the honey or the fact these chops are pan fried. I don't know. All I know is I had two servings and am already looking forward to when I can have them again. I know coating the pork chops after they've been fried seems weird, but it was heaven. Simply heaven. Even better, this dish is actually pretty quick to throw together and most of the ingredients will already be in your pantry. I left out the ground sage since I didn't have any and I can't say I missed it.

Would I make this again? I hope my overwhelming love for this recipe has been made obvious by this point.

Double Crunch Honey Garlic Pork Chops

Ingredients:

6 pork chops, well trimmed
2 eggs
4 tbsp water
canola oil

Coating:

1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground sage
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Honey Garlic Sauce:

2 tbsp olive oil
3–4 cloves minced garlic
1 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

1. In a bowl mix four and spice to make the coating for the pork chops. Whisk the eggs and water together to make an egg wash.

2. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, then dip the chops in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the chop into the egg wash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the chop to get good contact.

3. Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom. You will want to carefully regulate the temperature here so that the chops do not brown too quickly on the outside before they are fully cooked on the inside (just below medium heat works well). Fry the pork chops gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.

Drain on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before dipping the cooked chops into the Honey Garlic Sauce. Serve with noodles or rice.

For the dipping sauce:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil and garlic. (Do not let the garlic brown.) Then add the honey, soy sauce, and pepper to the pan. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Watch this carefully as it simmers because it can foam up over the pot very easily.

IMG_8429

Source: Rock Recipes

7 comments:

  1. How sweet is the sauce with all that honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about that too, but I thought it was good (obviously lol). I think it works because of how salty soy sauce is (though I always use low sodium soy sauce). Pork also pairs nicely with sweet things like apples.

    Admittedly, I just eyeballed the honey though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.O I so cannot WAIT to try this! If Hubby won't eat them, I'll eat them all myself! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should check here more often. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through the cute/gross halloween treats (I think the band aids and q-tips made me a little queasy but I love the idea). I am definitely adding this to my menu for the week - looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete