Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Revisited

I realize now my post from yesterday was kind of bitter. I don't want it to seem like I'm overly dramatic about the year so I thought I'd talk about a few things that really stuck out to me. Far too often we don't realize the importance of an event until it passes. Afterwards you look back and just know that a particular moment in time was singular in some way. For me, they're usually the times where I was perfectly content exactly where I was. I was just happy. You wouldn't think that alone is all that special, but for me it means everything.

IMG_6985

Talking to my grandma for the last time.

Okay, this is one of those bittersweet memories. The kind where you look back and wish you would have known. Like all really important moments though, I didn't realize how big this one would turn out to be. A simple phone call where I was distracted and not fully invested in the conversation turned out to be the last one I ever got with my grandma. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Stargazing while camping.

This is another one of those moments that just felt perfect. The cost afterwards was more than I would have liked, but I'll always look back and wonder how I could feel so happy just looking up.

IMG_8477

Hanging out in Park City.

Even though I have a lot of good memories from the weekend I spent in Park City (and some not so good ones cause by a slightly shocking amount of whipped vodka), one of the best memories I have is just hanging out with Tiffany. I remember there was one particular moment when I just felt okay with everything. I no longer felt scared of the prospect of moving in with her and felt confident things were gonna work out the way they needed to. You can't really put a value on a moment like that. (The hot tub was pretty awesome too.)

Holden seeing the ocean for the first time.

When I think back over the year, this is one of the first things that stuck out to me. The beach is something I grew up with so it was a lot of fun to watch Holden experience it for the first time. You could tell he didn't know what to think and he wasn't comfortable in the water (he loved the sand though). He wanted a bucket full of water and I told him to just bend down and get some when a wave comes in. As you can see by the picture it took him a few tries to get the hang of it. I still laugh when I think of it.

IMG_8006

There are other moments that stick out to me. Holden playing with my oldest and dearest friend's daughter, waking up in a tent surrounded by the coolest people I know, riding the ferry back from Coronado, carving pumpkins in the park, throwing handfuls of colorful powder with strangers, and many more that hurt to think about now. So no, the year wasn't a total wash. I'm still happy to say goodbye though.

No comments:

Post a Comment